Kung Hei Fat Choi! (May Prosperity Be With You!). It's the Lunar New Year and the Chinese year of the horse.
These spicy, salty wings are baked on a rack in the oven, the result being a crispy texture similar to that found in fried wings.
Baked Salt & Pepper Chicken Wings
- 500g chicken wings, jointed and wing-tip removed
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 green or red pepper, diced
- 1 medium green chili pepper, finely sliced
- 1 medium red chili pepper, finely sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed chili flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped or crushed
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon of salt & pepper seasoning (see below)
- dash of toasted sesame oil
Preheat the oven to 190C / 350F / Gas Mark 5. Arrange the chicken wings on a wire rack above a baking tray (this will help ensure the wings are crispy on all sides. For easy clean-up, line the baking tray with tin-foil. Bake the chicken wings for around 35 minutes or until cooked through and crispy.
When the chicken wings are almost ready, heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the diced onion and green pepper. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
Add the green chili, red chili, dried chili flakes, garlic and spring onions. Stir-fry for a further minute.
Pour the cooked chicken wings into the wok with the other ingredients and mix well. Add the salt & pepper seasoning and continue stirring the mixture until all of the ingredients are evenly coated.
Finish with a dash of toasted sesame oil and pour the wings into a long foil-tray or serving plate. Serve with prawn crackers.
Salt & Pepper Mix
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground szechuan peppercorns (optional)
- Pinch of white pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon Chinese 5-spice seasoning
Heat a large wok or frying pan over a high heat. Add the salt to the wok and stir regularly over a high heat for 3-4 minutes or until the salt begins to change colour slightly. Pour the toasted salt into a bowl and set aside to cool.
Once the salt has cooled to room temperature, add the ground szechuan peppercorns (if desired), the sugar and 5-spice seasoning. Mix thoroughly and store in a sealed container.